Prostate Complete (Saw Palmetto) 60's
Prostate Complete (Saw Palmetto) 60 Capsules/Pack
Dietary Supplement (prostate health)
Product expiry date we are currently shipping
Discontinued, no stock
Prostate Complete general information
What is Prostate Complete used for?
Prostate Complete capsules are a nutritional supplement used to support prostate health and a healthy urinary system and also assist with male sexual health and performance. Prostate Complete capsules are thought to have beneficial effects in Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH), which is a non-malignant enlargement of the prostate, by improving urinary symptoms.
How does Prostate Complete work?
Prostate Complete capsules contain Saw Palmetto, an extract made from berries of the palm tree Saw Palmetto, Serenoa Repens that is rich in fatty acids and phytosterols (plant sterols). Prostate Complete capsules also contain a combination of other herbal and mineral nutrients that enhance the therapeutic effect of saw palmetto. Saw palmetto in Prostate Complete acts as an anti-androgen and appears to inhibit 5α-reductase, the enzyme that converts the male hormone testosterone to dihydrotestosterone (DHT). DHT is the androgen that is primarily responsible for development and growth of the prostate gland. DHT is also responsible for the development of benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH or enlarged prostate), which is due to overgrowth of the smooth muscle cells within the prostate gland and increased muscle tone of these cells. The enlarged prostate gland compress the urethra (urine outlet tube from the bladder) running through the gland, which obstructs urine flow. Although Prostate Complete does not have much effect on shrinkage of an enlarged prostate gland it does appear to act on the prostate gland to improve symptoms of BPH, including reduced nocturia (need to urinate at night). Beneficial effects on other urinary symptoms of BHP have not been clearly demonstrated due to the variable preparations of Saw Palmetto used in the studies1, 2. There is also some evidence that inflammation may play a role in the progression and development of BHP. Studies indicate that a combination of Saw Palmetto extract with selenium, an important trace element with antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties may enhance the beneficial effects of saw palmetto in BHP3. Prostate Complete capsules also contain several herbal extracts. Epilobium parviflorum in Prostaguard Plus has been traditionally used for prostate, bladder and kidney disorders and has been shown to have anti-inflammatory activity by inhibiting the production of inflammatory prostaglandins, as well as antioxidant activity4. The root extract of the Couch Grass, Elymus repens (also referred to as Agropyron repens (L) P. Beauv) has been found to have mild diuretic and anti-inflammatory properties and been used traditionally as a herbal medicine to promote urine flow and for relieving urinary symptoms of BPH5. Also the Horsetail, Equisetum arvense, thought to have diuretic, anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties6, 7.
What does Prostate Complete contain?
Prostate Complete capsules contain the active ingredient Saw Palmetto (Serenoa repens) fruit (herbal extract dry equivalent) 4g and equivalent fatty acids 360mg. They also contain small leafed willow (Epilobium parviflorum) leaf 400mg, wild hydrangea (Hydrangea arborescens) root 100mg, couch grass (Elymus repens) root 100mg, horsetail (Equisetum arvense) herb 100mg, selenium (as Selenomethionine) 25µg, zinc (as sulfate) 15mg, colour and encapsulating aids.
Treating benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH) with Prostate Complete
Prostate Complete capsules contain Saw Palmetto, an extract made from berries of the palm tree Saw Palmetto, Serenoa Repens that is rich in fatty acids and phytosterols (plant sterols) and a combination of other herbal and mineral nutrients that enhance the therapeutic effect of saw palmetto. Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (BPH) is a non-malignant enlargement of the prostate, caused by overgrowth of the smooth muscle cells within the prostate gland and increased muscle tone of these cells. The enlarged prostate gland compress the urethra (urine outlet tube from the bladder) running through the gland, which obstructs urine flow. Dihydrotestosterone (DHT) is the androgen primarily responsible for development and growth of the prostate gland and is also responsible for the development of BPH. Saw palmetto in Prostate Complete acts as an anti-androgen and appears to inhibit 5α-reductase, the enzyme that converts the male hormone testosterone to DHT. The herbal extracts in Prostate Complete capsules, together with zinc and selenium are thought to provide antioxidant, anti-inflammatory and diuretic properties, which together may help provide relief from urinary symptoms of BPH.
What are the side effects of Prostate Complete?
The most commonly reported side effects when taking Prostate Complete capsules include, stomach upset (stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, constipation or diarrhoea), low libido, breast tenderness.
When should Prostate Complete not be used?
You should not use Prostate Complete capsules if you:
- are allergic to Saw Palmetto or any ingredients in Prostate Complete
- are a woman, Saw Palmetto is not intended for use by women and can be harmful to an unborn child
- are taking medicines that interact with Prostate Complete, including other anti-androgens like finasteride, lithium which may interact with horsetail
How should Prostate Complete be taken?
You should take your Prostate Complete capsules swallowed whole once daily with a glass of water and with food. You should continue to take your Prostate Complete capsules for as long as recommended by your health care professional.
How long should you take Prostate Complete?
You should continue to take your Prostate Complete capsules for as long as recommended by your health care professional.
Missed dose of Prostate Complete
If you miss a dose of Prostate Complete capsules take them as soon as you remember, unless it is time to take the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.
How should Prostate Complete be stored?
You should store your Prostate Complete capsules below 25°C in a cool dry place.
- Tacklind J, Macdonald R, Rutks I, Stanke JU, Wilt TJ. Serenoa repens for benign prostatic hyperplasia. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2012 Dec 12;12:
- Penugonda K, Lindshield BL. Fatty acid and phytosterol content of commercial saw palmetto supplements. Nutrients 2013 Sep 13;5(9):3617-33.
- Minutoli L,Bitto A, Squadrito F, Marini H, Irrera N, Morgia G, Passantino A, Altavilla D. Serenoa Repens, lycopene and selenium: a triple therapeutic approach to manage benign prostatic hyperplasia. Curr Med Chem 2013;20(10):1306-12.
- Hevesi BT, Houghton PJ, Habtemariam S, Kéry A. Antioxidant and antiinflammatory effect of Epilobium parviflorum Schreb. Phytother Res 2009 May;23(5):719-24.
- Assessment report on Agropyron repens (L) P. Beauv. European Medicine Agencies 2012
- Gründemann C, Lengen K, Sauer B, Garcia-Käufer M, Zehl M, Huber R. Equisetum arvense (common horsetail) modulates the function of inflammatory immunocompetent cells. BMC Complement Altern Med. 2014 Aug 4;14:283.
- Carneiro DM, Freire RC, Honório TC, Zoghaib I, Cardoso FF, Tresvenzol LM, de Paula JR, Sousa AL, Jardim PC, da Cunha LC. Randomized, Double-Blind Clinical Trial to Assess the Acute Diuretic Effect of Equisetum arvense (Field Horsetail) in Healthy Volunteers. Evid Based Complement Alternat Med. 2014;2014: