Ecovin 500 (griseofulvin 500mg) Tablets
Ecovin 500 (griseofulvin 500mg) 10 Tablets/Strip
Product expiry date we are currently shipping
Discontinued, no stock
Ecovin general information
What is Ecovin used for?
Ecovin tablets 500mg are an oral antifungal medication used to treat tinea infections of the skin and nails that do not respond satisfactorily to topical medications. Tinea is a dermatophyte fungus also known as ringworm and causes fungal infection including, ringworm of the foot, also known as Athlete's foot (tinea pedis), of the body (tinea corporis), of the groin (tinea cruris or jock itch), of the scalp (tinea capitis). Ecovin 500 is not effective against yeast fungi like candida. Ecovin 500 helps prevents spread of the fungal infection and relieves symptoms of fungal infection including itching and inflammation.
How does Ecovin work?
Ecovin tablets 500mg contain griseofulvin, an antifungal produced by the mould penicillium griseofulvum that is used to treat fungal skin infections caused by the dermatophyte fungus Tinea. Griseofulvin in Ecovin 500 binds to tubulin and interferes with microtubule formation, which in turn inhibits normal cell division or mitosis. Griseofulvin in Ecovin tablets 500mg concentrates in the skin and prevents the fungus from dividing but does not kill the fungus. Inhibiting division of the fungal cells inhibits spread of the infection and this relieves symptoms caused by fungal infection, including, itching, inflammation and scaling of the skin.
What does Ecovin contain?
Ecovin tablets 500mg contains the active ingredient griseofulvin, anti-fungal produced by the mould penicillium griseofulvum that is used to treat Tinea infections of the skin.
Treating fungal infection with Ecovin
Ecovin tablets 500mg contains griseofulvin, an antifungal that is used to treat fungal skin infections caused by the dermatophyte fungus Tinea. It is not, however, effective against infections with the yeast candida. Tinea is a dermatophyte fungus that causes ringworm in various parts of the body, including ringworm of the foot, also known as Athlete's foot (tinea pedis), of the body (tinea corporis), of the groin (tinea cruris or jock itch), of the scalp (tinea capitis). Griseofulvin in Ecovin tablets 500mg inhibits normal cell division or mitosis in the fungus, which prevents the fungus from dividing but does not kill the fungus. Ecovin 500 helps prevents spread of the fungal infection and relieves symptoms of fungal infection including itching and inflammation.
What are the side effects of Ecovin?
The most commonly reported side effects when taking Ecovin tablets 500mg include upset stomach, stomach cramps, nausea and vomiting, diarrhoea or constipation. Other more serious side effects are less common and may include: headache, rash, dizziness, tingling sensations, blurred vison, sensitivity to light, menstrual disturbance, liver disturbance.
When should Ecovin not be used?
You should not use Ecovin tablets 500mg if you:
- are allergic to griseofulvin or any ingredients in Ecovin 500
- are pregnant or are breastfeeding
- have liver disease, hepatitis or porphyria (a genetic enzyme disorder that causes symptoms affecting the skin or nervous system)
- have inflammatory autoimmune disease systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- spend much time out in the sun without protection, as griseofulvin makes skin more sensitive to sunlight
- Taking oral contraceptives as griseofulvin may reduce their effectiveness
- Dink alcohol and griseofulvin interacts with griseofulvin and can result in severe nausea and vomiting
- are taking medicines that interact with Ecovin, including oral contraceptives, the sedative phenobarbital, anticoagulants like warfarin, Antacids and H2 antagonists for reflux.
What medications interact with Ecovin?
Several medications interact with Ecovin tablets 500mg and should either not be taken while you are taking Ecovin or only after discussion and instruction from your doctor:
- Drugs that affect Ecovin, Antacids and H2 antagonists for reflux should not be taken for 2 hours after griseofulvin because they might otherwise stop its absorption
- Drugs that are affected by Ecovin to have reduced effectiveness : oral contraceptives, the sedative phenobarbital, anticoagulants like warfarin
How should Ecovin be taken?
You should take your Ecovin tablets 500mg swallowed whole with a glass of water, with food and preferably a high fat meal to help absorption and reduce risk of stomach irritation. The dose you take and how often depends on what you are being treated for and your doctor’s recommendation. This could be once or twice daily for 2-6 weeks, or longer for up to 18 months. You should continue to take your Ecovin tablets 500mg for as long as recommended by your doctor.
How long should you take Ecovin?
You should continue to take your Ecovin tablets 500mg for as long as recommended by your doctor.
Missed dose of Ecovin
If you miss a dose of Ecovin 500 take it as soon as you remember, unless it is time to take the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.
How should Ecovin be stored?
You should store your Ecovin below 25°C in a cool dry place.