Zaart-H (Losartan Potassium & Hydrochlorthiazide 50mg/12.5mg) 10 Tablets/Strip
Also known as Hyzaar
Losartan Potassium & Hydrochlorthiazide
Angiotensin II receptor blocker & Diuretic
Product expiry date we are currently shipping
Zaart-H general information
What is Zaart-H used for?
Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg are a fixed dose combination medication used to treat hypertension, which is high blood pressure when at rest, particularly with left ventricular hypertrophy, which is when the heart works harder due to high blood pressure, causing thickening of the left pumping chamber. Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5 are used when blood pressure cannot be controlled by a single medication. Although there are usually no other symptoms, high blood pressure increases risk of cardiovascular disease and if uncontrolled can cause kidney damage, stroke, heart attack and heart failure. Zaart-H tablets lower blood pressure to normal resting levels, which reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and end organ damage.
How does Zaart-H work?
Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg contain a fixed dose combination of two medications that work together to reduce blood pressure, in a way that is more effective that if each drug is used alone. Losartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB), which acts by blocking the binding of the hormone angiotensin II to its receptor in a variety of tissues including vascular smooth muscle (blood vessel walls) and kidney cells. Angiotensin II is a naturally produced hormone that has several actions involved in regulating blood pressure, which is the force needed to pump blood around the body, as well as fluid balance, the amount of water removed from the blood by the kidneys. Angiotensin II causes salt (sodium and potassium) and water retention by the kidneys, and causes blood vessels to constrict (narrow); this increases blood volume while at the same time reducing blood vessel volume, which increases blood pressure. Losartan in Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5 mg blocks the binding of Angiotensin II to its receptor, preventing its pressor actions (blood pressure increasing) resulting in dilation (widening) of blood vessel and increased amount of salt and water removed by the kidneys into the urine, which lowers blood pressure. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic and acts directly on the kidneys to promote the removal of salts and water from the blood, which increase the urine volume and decreases blood volume. The combined action of Losartan and hydrochlorothiazide provides a significant and additive reduction in blood pressure, which is maintained for as long as you take your Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5.
What does Zaart-H contain?
Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg contains two active ingredient, Losartan (50mg), an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB), and hydrochlorothiazide (12.5mg), a thiazide diuretic, which work together to lower blood pressure.
Treating hypertension (high blood pressure) with Zaart-H
Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg contain a fixed dose combination of two medications which is used to treat high blood pressure when at rest, in people whose blood pressure cannot be controlled by a single medication and who are at increased risk of cardiovascular disease, including stroke and heart attack. The two antihypertensive drugs work together to reduce blood pressure, by causing relaxing and widening of blood vessels (vasodilation) and by increasing the removal water and salt from the blood, in a way that is more effective than if each drug is used alone. Losartan in Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) that blocks the action of angiotensin II, a naturally produced hormone that has several actions involved in regulating blood pressure, and works by preventing the binding of angiotensin II to its receptor in vascular smooth muscle (blood vessel walls), where it causes constriction (narrowing); and in the kidneys, where it causes salt and water retention. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic and acts directly on the kidneys and also promotes the removal of salts and water from the blood. The combined action of losartan and hydrochlorothiazide in Zaart-H tablets 50/12 increases urine volume, decreases blood volume and increases blood vessel volume, all of which reduces the force needed for the heart to pump blood around the body, and lowers blood pressure. Lowering blood pressure helps the heart to cope better, increasing life expectancy in people with high blood pressure, who are at risk of cardiovascular disease.
What are the side effects of Zaart-H?
The most commonly reported side effects when taking Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg include dizziness, headache, cough, skin rash, nasopharyngitis (inflammation of the nose and throat), nasal congestion, sinusitis, abdominal pain, nausea, diarrhoea, gastric reflux (dyspepsia), muscle cramps
When should Zaart-H not be used?
You should not use Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg if you:
- are allergic to losartan, hydrochlorothiazide or any ingredients in Zaart-H
- are allergic to sulphonamides
- are pregnant or are breastfeeding
- have kidney or liver disease
- have trouble passing urine
- are diabetic without discussion with your doctor as you may need to change the dose of your diabetic medication
- are taking medicines that interact with Zaart-H including other antihypertensives, diuretics like furosemide, potassium-sparing diuretics like spironolactone, potassium tablets or potassium-containing salt substitutes, lithium for mood disorders, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antacids like aluminium magnesium hydroxide, other antihypertensives, diuretics like furosemide, narcotic analgesics like codeine, barbiturates for epilepsy like phenobarbitone, corticosteroids like prednisone, cholestyramine and colestipol, for high cholesterol, muscle relaxants like tubocurarine, alcohol
What medications interact with Zaart-H?
Several medications interact with Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg and should either not be taken while you are taking Zaart-H or only after discussion and instruction from your doctor:
- Drugs that cause a serious reaction with Zaart-H: potassium tablets, potassium-containing salt substitutes or potassium-sparing diuretics like spironolactone may increase potassium levels, alcohol
- Drugs that increase side effects: other antihypertensives, diuretics like furosemide, narcotic analgesics like codeine, barbiturates for epilepsy like phenobarbitone, corticosteroids like prednisone, alcohol
- Drugs that affect Zaart-H: other antihypertensives, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antacids like aluminium magnesium hydroxide, cholestyramine and colestipol, for high cholesterol
- Drugs that are affected by Zaart-H: lithium for mood disorders, muscle relaxants like tubocurarine,
How should Zaart-H be taken?
You should take your Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg with a glass of water, with or without food once a day, at the same time each day. Your dose may be increased, depending on your condition and your doctor’s recommendation. You should continue to take your Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg for as long as recommended by your doctor, to keep your blood pressure down to normal levels, as Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg will help control your blood pressure but will not cure it.
How long should you take Zaart-H?
You should continue to take your Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg for as long as recommended by your doctor, to keep your blood pressure down to normal levels, as Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg will help control your blood pressure but will not cure it.
Missed dose of Zaart-H
If you miss a dose of Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg take it as soon as you remember, unless it is time to take the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.
How should Zaart-H be stored?
You should store your Zaart-H tablets 50/12.5mg below 25°C in a cool dry place.