NP Thyroid (Thyroid 15mg) 0.25 Grain Tablets
NP Thyroid (Thyroid 15mg) 0.25 Grain 100 Tablets/Pack
Product expiry date we are currently shipping
NP Thyroid general information
What is NP Thyroid used for?
NP Thyroid tablets 15mg (1/4 grain) are used to treat hypothyroidism or underactive thyroid, a condition in which the thyroid gland does not make enough thyroid hormone needed to regulate the body’s growth and metabolism, including cretinism, which is a mental and physical retardation condition due to a congenital thyroid deficiency; also myxoedema, which is severe hypothyroidism and also describes the skin condition associated with this condition. NP Thyroid tablets 15mg are a natural replacement hormone, derived from pig thyroid gland, containing both forms of thyroid hormone (T3 and T4), which help to relieve the symptoms of hypothyroidism, including, tiredness, muscle weakness, cramps, feeling the cold, a slow heart rate, dry and flaky skin, hair loss, a deep husky voice and weight gain. NP Thyroid tablets 15mg can also be used to help treat hypothyroidism caused by surgical removal of, or damage to the thyroid gland, as well as treating thyroid goitre (enlarged thyroid glands) and thyroid cancer. NP Thyroid 15mg can also be used for diagnosis in suppression tests, to test for thyroid activity.
How does NP Thyroid work?
NP Thyroid tablets 15mg (1/4 grain) consist of an extract produced from pig thyroid glands that contains both forms of thyroid hormone; thyroxine (levothyroxine or T4) and liothyronine (L-triiodothyronine or T3). Thyroxine (T4) is converted to the more active form of thyroid hormone (T3) in the liver, kidney and other tissues of the body and T3 interacts with a specific receptor inside cells to stimulate proteins needed to manage and control a variety of processes, including how the body regulates temperature, metabolises nutrients and controls growth and development. Thyroid hormones regulate the production by the pituitary gland of another hormone called thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH), which in turn controls how much thyroid hormone is produced. NP Thyroid 15 regulates TSH production in the same way and this is how it works when used for treating thyroid goitre or thyroid cancer by suppressing TSH production.
What does NP Thyroid contain?
NP Thyroid tablets 15mg contain the active ingredients levothyroxine (T4) 9.5mcg and liothyronine (T3) 2.25 mcg per quarter grain of porcine thyroid extract (or per 15 mg of the labelled amount of thyroid). They also contain calcium stearate, dextrose (agglomerated) and mineral oil.
Treating underactive thyroid (hypothyroidism) with NP Thyroid
NP Thyroid tablets 15mg consist of an extract produced from pig thyroid glands which contains both forms of thyroid hormone; thyroxine (levothyroxine or T4) and liothyronine (L-triiodothyronine or T3). NP Thyroid 15 is used to substitute for the lack of thyroid hormone in hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid gland) needed to regulate normal growth and metabolism. NP Thyroid tablets 15mg (1/4 grain) are used to relieve the symptoms of hypothyroidism, including, tiredness, muscle weakness, cramps, feeling the cold, a slow heart rate, dry and flaky skin, hair loss, a deep husky voice and weight gain.
What is the difference between natural and synthetic thyroid hormones?
NP Thyroid tablets 15mg (1/4 grain) contain an extract produced from whole desiccated pig thyroid glands, measured in grains, which contain both forms of thyroid hormone; thyroxine (levothyroxine or T4) and liothyronine (L-triiodothyronine or T3). These hormones are therefore natural hormones compared to synthesised hormones found in some other preparations of thyroid medication, which may contain only one form of thyroid hormone, either T4 or T3. Both natural and synthetic hormones work in the same way to treat thyroid disease.
What are the side effects of NP Thyroid?
The most commonly reported side effects when taking NP Thyroid tablets 15mg (1/4 grain) indicate that your dose is too high and may need adjusting. These include: headache, sleep problems (insomnia), feeling nervous or irritable sweating, flushing, appetite changes, weight loss, muscle weakness/cramps, tremors.
When should NP Thyroid not be used?
You should not use NP Thyroid tablets 15mg (1/4 grain) if you:
- are allergic to thyroid hormones or any of the ingredients in NP Thyroid tablets
- are looking for a treatment for obesity or to help you lose weight; this is not a weight loss product
- have thyrotoxicosis (untreated high thyroid hormone levels) or adrenal gland problems
- are pregnant or breastfeeding, without discussion with your doctor
- have a history of chest pain, heart attack, heart blood vessel problems, or other heart problems
- are a diabetic taking antidiabetics or insulin, without discussion with your doctor, as NP Thyroid may affect your glucose tolerance
- are taking other medications that may interact with NP Thyroid, such as anticonvulsants like phenytoin and carbamazepine, cardiac glycosides like digoxin, cholesterol-lowing drugs containing cholestyramine, hormone replacement or oral contraceptives containing oestrogen, anticoagulants like warfarin
What medications interact with NP Thyroid?
Several medications interact with NP Thyroid tablets 15mg and should either not be taken while you are taking NP Thyroid or only after discussion and instruction from your doctor:
- Drugs that decrease effectiveness of NP Thyroid: antacids that contains aluminum or calcium or sucralfate (should be taken at least 4 hours apart from thyroid hormones); cholesterol-lowing drugs containing cholestyramine (should be taken at least 4 hours apart from thyroid hormones); iron supplement and vitamins with iron (should be taken at least 4 hours apart from thyroid hormones) hormone replacement or oral contraceptives containing oestrogen
- Drugs that are affected by NP Thyroid: anticoagulants, like warfarin because the risk of bleeding may be increased, insulin or an oral diabetes medication such as acarbose, glipizide, glyburide and metformin
How should NP Thyroid be taken?
You should take your NP Thyroid tablets 15mg with a glass of water on an empty stomach, preferably 30-60 minutes before a meal and at the same time each day. The dose of NP Thyroid 15 that you take should be as recommended by your doctor. The usual starting dose is 30 mg NP Thyroid (½ grain), with increments of 15 mg (¼ grain) every 2 to 3 weeks, depending on the levels of T3 and T4 measured in the blood during treatment, so blood monitoring is important while you are taking NP Thyroid 15. It usually takes several weeks to see normal blood thyroid hormone levels after starting treatment and you should continue to take your NP Thyroid 15 for as long as recommended by your doctor, which may be for the rest of your life.
How long should you take NP Thyroid?
You should continue to take your NP Thyroid 15 for as long as recommended by your doctor, which may be for the rest of your life.
Missed dose of NP Thyroid
If you miss a dose of NP Thyroid tablets 15mg take it as soon as you remember, unless it is time to take the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.
How should NP Thyroid be stored?
You should store your NP Thyroid tablets 15mg below 25°C in a cool dry place, protected from light and moisture.