Olmezest H 20 (Olmesartan/HCTZ) 100's
Olmezest H 20 20/12.5mg 100 Tablets/Pack
Also known as Benicar HCT
Olmesartan 20mg/hydrochlorothiazide 12.5mg
Antihypertensive (Angiotensin II receptor blocker)
Product expiry date we are currently shipping
Olmezest H general information
What is Olmezest H used for?
Olmezest H 20 tablets 20/12.5mg are a fixed dose combination medication used to treat essential hypertension, in people whose blood pressure cannot be controlled by a single medication. Although there are usually no other symptoms, essential hypertension, which is high blood pressure when at rest with usually no obvious and identifiable cause, increases risk of cardiovascular disease and if uncontrolled can cause kidney damage, stroke, heart attack and heart failure. Olmezest H 20 tablets lower blood pressure to normal resting levels, which helps the heart to cope better and reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease and end organ damage.
How does Olmezest H work?
Olmezest H 20 tablets 20/12.5mg contain a fixed dose combination of two medications that work together to reduce blood pressure, in a way that is more effective that if each drug is used alone. Olmesartan is an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) that acts by blocking the binding of the hormone angiotensin II to its receptor in a variety of tissues including vascular smooth muscle (blood vessel walls) and kidney cells. Angiotensin II is a naturally produced hormone that has several actions involved in regulating blood pressure, which is the force needed to pump blood around the body, as well as fluid balance, the amount of water removed from the blood by the kidneys. Angiotensin II causes salt (sodium and potassium) and water retention by the kidneys, and causes blood vessels to constrict (narrow); this increases blood volume while at the same time reducing blood vessel volume, which increases blood pressure. Olmesartan in Olmezest H 20 tablets blocks the binding of Angiotensin II to its receptor, preventing its pressor actions (blood pressure increasing) resulting in dilation (widening) of blood vessel and increased salt and water removal by the kidneys into the urine, which together result in lower blood pressure. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic and acts directly on the kidneys to promote the removal of salts and water from the blood, which increase urine volume and decreases blood volume. The combined action of olmesartan and hydrochlorothiazide provides a significant and additive reduction in blood pressure, which is maintained for as long as you take your Olmezest H 20 tablets.
What does Olmezest H contain?
Olmezest H 20 tablets contain the active ingredients olmesartan medoxomil (20mg), an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB) and hydrochlorothiazide a diuretic (12.5mg), used in combination to treat essential hypertension.
Treating hypertension (high blood pressure) with Olmezest H
Olmezest H tablets 20/12.5mg contains olmesartan, an angiotensin II receptor blocker (ARB), and hydrochlorothiazide, a diuretic, that are used in combination to treat essential hypertension, which is high blood pressure when at rest, in people with high blood pressure of no obviously identifiable cause, who are at increased risk of cardiovascular disease. Olmesartan in Olmezest H 20 blocks the action of angiotensin II, a naturally produced hormone that has several actions involved in regulating blood pressure, and works by preventing the binding of angiotensin II to its receptor in vascular smooth muscle (blood vessel walls), where it causes constriction (narrowing); and in the kidneys, where it causes salt and water retention. Olmezest H 20 tablets increase urine volume, decreases blood volume and increases blood vessel volume, all of which reduce the force needed for the heart to pump blood around the body, and lowers blood pressure. Hydrochlorothiazide is a diuretic and acts directly on the kidneys to promote the removal of salts and water from the blood. The two antihypertensive drugs work together to reduce blood pressure, by causing relaxing and widening of blood vessels (vasodilation) and by increasing the removal water and salt from the blood, in a way that is more effective than if each drug is used alone. Lowering blood pressure helps the heart to cope better and reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease including stroke, heart failure, heart attack and end organ damage, including kidney damage, which can lead to kidney failure.
What are the side effects of Olmezest H?
The most commonly reported side effects when taking Olmezest H 20 tablets 20/12.5mg include: upper respiratory tract infections like sinusitis or bronchitis, flu-like symptoms, dizziness, cough, diarrhoea, nausea, abdominal pain, headache, fatigue, back pain, peripheral oedema, changes in blood salts.
When should Olmezest H not be used?
You should not use Olmezest H 20 tablets if you:
- are allergic to olmesartan or hydrochlorothiazide or any ingredients in Olmezest H 20
- are allergic to sulphonamides
- are pregnant or are breastfeeding
- have kidney or liver disease
- have a history of heart problems or stroke
- have trouble passing urine
- are taking medicines that interact with Olmezest H, including: other antihypertensives, diuretics like furosemide, potassium-sparing diuretics like spironolactone, potassium tablets or potassium-containing salt substitutes, lithium for mood disorders, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antacids like aluminium magnesium hydroxide, narcotic analgesics like codeine, barbiturates for epilepsy like phenobarbitone, corticosteroids like, prednisone, cholestyramine and colestipol, for high cholesterol, muscle relaxants like tubocurarine, lithium for mood swings
- are taking Co-trimoxazole (Sulphamexthoxazole/Trimethoprim) [Trusul/Bactrim DS]
What medications interact with Olmezest H?
Several medications interact with Olmezest H 20 tablets and should either not be taken while you are taking Olmezest H or only after discussion and instruction from your doctor:
- Drugs that cause a serious reaction with Olmezest H: potassium tablets, potassium-containing salt substitutes or potassium-sparing diuretics like spironolactone may increase potassium levels.
- Drugs that increase side effects: other antihypertensives, diuretics like furosemide, narcotic analgesics like codeine, barbiturates for epilepsy like phenobarbitone, corticosteroids like, prednisone
- Drugs that affect Olmezest H: other antihypertensives, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, antacids like aluminium magnesium hydroxide, cholestyramine and colestipol, for high cholesterol
- Drugs that are affected by Olmezest H: lithium for mood disorders, muscle relaxants like tubocurarine, lithium for mood swings
How should Olmezest H be taken?
You should take your Olmezest H 20 tablets with a glass of water, once daily, with or without food, at the same time each day. Olmezest H 20 will help control your blood pressure but will not cure it, so you should continue to take your Olmezest H tablets 20/12.5mg for as long as your doctor recommends, to keep your blood pressure down to normal levels.
How long should you take Olmezest H?
Olmezest H 20 tablets 20/12.5mg will help control your blood pressure but will not cure it, so you should continue to take your Olmezest H 20 tablets for as long as your doctor recommends, to keep your blood pressure down to normal levels.
Missed dose of Olmezest H
If you miss a dose of Olmezest H 20 tablets take it as soon as you remember, unless it is time to take the next dose, then skip the missed dose. Do not take a double dose.
How should Olmezest H be stored?
You should keep your Olmezest H 20 tablets 20/12.5mg in their blister packs until use and store below 30°C in a cool dry place.